The first round of crazy overhauling madness began Saturday. Red was driven down to Johns shop, put up on the hoist and drained of oil.
All pertinent parts were disconnected, engine got pulled, gas tank was removed, both CV joint sets were taken off.
The old engine was broken down to recycle the parts that I don't need to replace (such as my very pretty exhaust system).
I didn't remove the heads yet, but when I do I will take the pictures of the damage that a sunken valve will do. In the meantime, here are a few shots of something very familiar to Bus owners: Oil crud and buildup.
The Cylinders and Pistons that were shipped were the wrong ones, so I have to wait for them to show up before they get put back on. In the meantime, this is the current state of the new engine:
A little bit of history on the Engine Case if you are interested:
John will only use AS21 cases, not AS41 cases. The article is slightly incorrect - you can re-machine AS21 cases, but you get 1 chance to do it. By the third re-machining, the case is out of spec and beyond use. It has to be perfect, there are no second tries.
The gas tank is getting cleaned up and resurfaced so there are no more rust flakes in my fuel filter. I replaced the CV joints on the passenger side, but both of them have been damaged already, so I'm replacing them while the engine is out.
I'll keep you posted.
P.S. I love air powered tools, and Stalwille wrenches. John has a full set and damn if they don't feel... just right.
I started this blog years ago with the intention of documenting and sharing my travels. I thought I'd be in my bus for most of them. It ...
I'm up and running again. Not in enough time to make the Buses by the Bridge show, but at least I have dry wheels in wet weather. I'...
We are leaving Albuquerque. That should be a title of a song: The truck is filled and I'm leaving Albuquerque, The sun is rising time...