Monday, June 27, 2011

Maupin day two

It's about 8:00 am and I'm out the door after my "continental breakfast". There are groundhogs all along the side of the road near Klamath lake, they seem to be smart enough to know that cars are deadly.

Oregon was described to me as a "curious mix of hick and hippy" once. I think that is accurate. I see faded bumper stickers on old Fords that say "I'm the NRA" getting passed by Toyota Priuses with the required Obama 08 sticker. (Question: if you remove the Obama sticker from a Prius, does it void the warranty?)

Odd roadside sculptures dot the road to Bend. I'm there a little early, so no stopping at Deschutes brewery, it's just a cup of coffee, and I'm continuing on.

I'm there a little early, so no stopping at Deschutes brewery, it's just a cup of coffee, and I'm continuing on.


But I take a picture of Mirror Pond just the same.





The last 30 miles to Maupin are the longest 100 miles I've driven. It's pretty, but after close to 14 hours of driving, you just want to get there and see happy faces.

I do. There are.

There were only a few buses when I pulled in, I was earlier than most.




I put up the tent next to Johns. This is the big tents inaugural trip, it did well.
And then I set my bus and tent up next to Melissa

But as the evening poured on, more and more showed up.

Next up: Dogs. Lots of dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introducing, The Squirrel

I have another VW. I know it's a sickness. I'm cutting and pasting the post that I put on the samba: The Back story: My grandpare...